What is the DV CHI Metal Tenor Saxophone Mouthpiece?The DV Chicago model silver plated metal tenor saxophone mouthpiece is the culmination of a quest by Jody Espina to make the most efficient saxophone mouthpiece that delivers the biggest, fullest sound.
The DV CHI produces a darker, less bright tone than the contemporary sound of the JodyJazz DV, but a considerably brighter more modern tone than the JodyJazz DV NY. The beautifully shaped baffle/chamber design of the DV CHI produces a tone that is reminiscent of Dexter Gordan but is quite at home in a contemporary situation.
Simply put, the DV CHI combines the best properties of the highly successful DV and DV NY series while adding several new design modifications which enhance the players ability to manipulate the tone. The scalloped chamber also allows the player to push more air through the mouthpiece without experiencing any harshness.
What does the DV CHI do?
- Bigger Fatter Tone
- Effortless Playing
- More Harmonics
- Cleaner Articulation
- Power and Projection
- Unbelievable Altissimo
- Improved Intonation
How does the DV CHI do it?
- Secondary window: the moving sound wave inside of the mouthpiece is now able to strike the vibrating reed above the bore of the mouthpiece instead of the mouthpiece material that is usually there. The effect is similar to a moving ball striking a moving bat, enabling a massive boost to your power and projection.
- Golden section proportioning, these proportions result in a chamber that increases harmonics making the sound bigger and richer.
- Proprietary CNC facing technology
- Perfect radius facing curve, making the DV much more free blowing because of the facing curve of the DV soprano and all the DV's. Be prepared to use a harder reed than you normally do. This may or may not be the case for you. The great benefit of this is that a harder reed lasts longer. A harder reed also helps the altissimo range.
- Perfect reed/Tip match
- Hand finished baffle, tip rail and table
- Play tested by Jody Espina